OK, this is the oddest moment of my week. Actually, I think it may win for the whole semester so far.
I was headed up to the dorm after choir, and stepped off the elevator at the forth floor to be greeted by a strong, pungent, sickly-sweet smell from my past. It brought up a very good feeling of home and ranch and prairie and just all-around positive reminiscing. For the longest time I could not identify what it was, nor even what it reminded me of.
Then it came to me, not really like a blinding flash, more like a sun flare....
It was the exact smell of the milk/formula/mash/whatever it was called, that we used to mix up for our young cows and goat kids when they needed food supplements, or were rejected by their mothers........
In the forth floor hall of a building in the middle of a huge-ish city, miles from the nearest cow and even farther from the nearest farm or ranch. And a long way from Oklahoma. What are the odds, may I ask the mathematicians in my life? Not very high I'm guessing.
Suffice it to say it was a very surreal moment. And served to make me want to get away from the city even more.
*Sigh
~~~~~~
On the plus side, the weather is wonderful. Sunny, slight breezes, and practically balmy at 72 degrees with a high of 74. The kind of day that makes you never want to go indoors. Or that makes you want to be laying out your mother's garden. Or that makes you want to spend the entire day on horseback. Or canoeing. (How do you even spell that? I think it was another one of those words we let someone make up with no regards to phonics. OK, it's probably not from the English language, but still.) Or.....well, you get the picture.
There are birds singing all day, lizards coming out to sun on the rock wall, and squirrels everywhere.
I think we might actually have hit spring, finally. You have to say it quietly because if it hears me it may go back into hiding for a while. Up here you gotta be really careful to not startle spring . It's overly sensitive.
Now that that is completely out of my system, I'll go back to my boring, sun-deprived, nature starved life.
♪♫Cheers!♪♫
LadyAnne
2 comments:
when are you going to come home? we are going to a place on May 15-17th that will offer horseback riding...if you are able to come, i'd be so incredibly excited. will you be home then???
Hhmmm...I don't think so. We get out of school that weekend, but not sure exactly when we are free to leave or how our transportation would work.
I'll check into it though.
LadyAnne
Post a Comment