Monday, February 11, 2008

Not a fit day out for Man nor Beast...

It' s cold. Really really really really cold. Like bone breakingly cold. Like I stepped out the door and my shinbone snapped. Ok, slight exaggeration. But it is cold. Really, really.... moving on.

My fingers are too cold to type. The sky is a great lowering mass of gray drudgery slowly advancing towards all those who dare be cheerful on such a day. (Hey, cool sentence!) I look out the window and the birds are so cold they are walking instead of flying. The squirrels are using space heaters in the bushes. The slugs are solid little ice cubes. (Do slugs freeze? Cool thought. We could play marbles with frozen slugs.) The (what other animals do they have in this non-country place?) dogs aren't barking because the 70-below-zero temperatures immobilized their voice boxes. (It was 16 degrees last night when I got back to the dorm. It was only 8pm or so too. Now it is 13, but feels like 6.) The sun is trying to come up now, but the horizon is so frozen it can't get through. (The high to day is only 25, so I think they know it isn't gonna make it.) Even though there isn't wind, you can see the trees shaking because the termites are shivering. I think I could wear my entire wardrobe today and not be warm.

~~~~~~
I always seem to be blessed with people confiding in me at the oddest times and the oddest bits of information. So, on that note, Happy Birthday. (you know who you are.)
~~~~~~
I don't know, I just think it is odd for a twenty something young man to be called grandpa. Call me crazy.
~~~~~~

No comments: