Monday, May 12, 2008

Gentlemen, start your...Chivalry?

OK, So another odd line of thought has been going around in my odd head again.

The gist of it is thus...

We complain about there being no true "Gentlemen" left in this world, (which isn't strictly true down south, but that is a moot point) and that no real chivalrous men are being raised in our society. Both seemingly logical theories that I would ascribe to myself, but today I had an epiphany;

What if the fault is not entirely with the guys?

Is the modern "independent woman" teaching our young men that they don't need their help to open doors and therefore robbing our society of true gentlemen?

An interesting idea...
I can't decide if I agree or not. I really need a Tyler Family discussion/knockdown-drag out to get my theoretical juices flowing. I can't seem to hash it out in my head.

I tend to be on the more independent side myself (Five brothers will do that to ya, It's a matter of survival.) and open my own doors, don't wait to get out of the car, wrestle my own lions, etc, etc. So am I doing the potential gentlemen around me, and their future wives, a disservice by killing the inclination of the indulgence of chivalric treatment?

I feel another headache coming on...

LadyAnne

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth (maybe not much) I attribute much of the "death of chivalry" to the female gender, and I for one, think it's a travesty. It is an amazing man who can be a "manly man" and also have high respect and deference for the female gender and show that by tangible means. (Oh, God, send me one of those!)

Cease said...

If you will remember T my dear...I tried telling you and Liz this a couple of weeks ago, and you as well as several other librarians mocked me for what they dubbed "Chauvinistic" views.
But yes, I do agree that it can be partially attributed to the "Modern Independent Woman"
But again, it is also the fault of the Man. Because they are not being raised to have respect. Nor to be masculine without being brutish. In today's society, Men don't know how to be Sensitive and Masculine at the same time.
Just the opinion of a crazed white dude.
TT

Unknown said...

Women have always been stronger then men in many respects. We just never realized it. Hello- how many men do you know that have born children? Women have more endurance. So really the strength thing is a moot point. God created both of us with strengths. We just have to accept what our strengths and weaknesses are. I do say that men have become weaker willed, but that is society's fault. A society that has been shaped by Hollywood and unmanly men.